Please join us for a special “Sneak Peek” opportunity for the public to visit the new Portman Nature Preserve for the very first time!
The Sneak Peek will run from 10 am – 3 pm and offer self-guided tours for people to explore this beautiful preserve and its trail system. Learn more about its rare biodiversity and water resources, and find out about SWMLC’s plans for restoring its natural communities and building an improved parking area and trail system. Don’t forget to bring your camera or sketchbook!
There is no admission charge for this event and everyone is welcome.
* SWMLC Stewardship Specialist Mitch Lettow will offer a guided bird walk at 9 am for anyone who’s interested in the many bird species that make their homes at the Portman Nature Preserve. Please send your RSVP to email@example.com to sign up, as space will be limited on this walk.
WHEN: Saturday, May 20, 10 am – 3 pm (Guided Bird Walk at 9 am)
WHERE: Portman Nature Preserve, Almena & Antwerp Twps., Van Buren Co.
Follow this link to learn more about Portman Nature Preserve. And please consider making a donation to help us raise the final $75,000 we need to complete the public access infrastructure to build a safe parking area and entry trail system.
Directions to Portman Nature Preserve
(click on the map for a printable PDF version)
• From I-94 take the Mattawan Exit (# 66) and head north (right) from the traffic circle onto Main Street. Head north for 1 mile to reach Red Arrow Highway, then turn left (west).
• Go west for 1.5 miles, then turn right (north) onto 27th Street (look for Owsiany Farm Stand on the corner).
• Continue traveling north for 0.75 mile, then turn left (west) onto 49th Avenue.
• Go about 0.75 mile to the preserve entrance on the right/north side of the road (just west of the old white farm house at #28534).
Please remember that the Portman Nature Preserve is not yet open to the public, except during special events such as this one or by special invitation — so it will not be open on a daily basis during the summer. We anticipate a grand opening in the fall. Thank you for your cooperation!